Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Kids #atozchallenge

"‘Çan we home now mum?’ says Bailey suddenly.
A quick affirmative nod does the trick, and furnishes me with the opportunity to escape mum’s silent scrutiny. ‘Yes,’ I say with something resembling enthusiasm. ‘Let’s get going. School tomorrow.’ I stand. Sam apparently misses the message. He’s licking sauce from his fingers while reaching for another chip with his free hand. ‘Come on. Let’s go. Get your stuff.’
‘We don’t have any stuff mum.’
‘Right,’ I say, wondering why they don’t have their bags with them. ‘That’s easy then.’
I shepherd my neglected children towards the front door, but they soon gain their own momentum, and forge ahead".

Lovesick chapter 38

As much pain and devastation as separation and divorce causes for the two involved, it is their children who are the real victims.

My parents first separated when I was 12, then they split again when I was 17 and that was the end of the marriage. The house was sold, and I went to live with my dad, while my sister went to live with mum. I got on with the business of life, but it took many years for me to get over it. Even today, the repercussions of the divorce are still felt keenly in our family. Mum and dad have never quite figured out how to get along, even though they have now been divorced for longer than they were married.

The impact is now felt by their grandchildren. I accept the reality of the situation, even though for a long time, I imagined, I dreamed and hoped that my parents would reconcile. My children and my sister’s children know no different. They were born, like so many other children, into a fractured family.

Sadly, I did the same thing to my children when I left my wife. The cycle goes on as we are try to find peace and happiness in the midst of pain and brokenness.


Are you divorced? How’s it going? Have you managed to move on?

2 comments:

  1. Kids are the most impacted by broken homes. I can't even imagine how difficult it might have been for you and your sister.

    Shubhangi @ The Little Princess

    ReplyDelete
  2. We learned to live with it which is what you have to do when you have no choice.

    ReplyDelete