Friday, April 28, 2017

X is for X-Mantra


Nepal? Really? The hardest letter of the A to Z 'X', and I find a
heavy metal band in this little Himalayan  nation of just over 20 million people. Well why not? These Kathmandau homies (Rojesh Shesthra on vocals, Sandeep Tuladhar, guitars, BJ Shresthra, bass, Bikram Shrestha, drums, and Nabin Mahajarn, guitars) got together in Y2K and have been rocking the subcontinent with their thrash metal ever since.


Their most recent release was Pralaya and this track is called 2012


I back my van up to the loading dock with the metal tunes blaring to gain the attention of the backroom boys at Chemistwarehouse. In fact the music does not do the trick so I press the bell, and talk with the young fellow who opens the door for me. Turns out he's a metal fan too. 'Do you like Trivium?' he says. 'Never heard of them," I reply.

Next time I rock up to collect their used syringes- a job I did with distinction for many years- the young headbanger has a disc for me. "Have a listen to this," he says.

The disc was Ascendancy, and as a result of it and the generousity of the guy at Chemistwarehouse, I became a Trivium fan. The year was 2007, and the band was between releases Shogun to come, featuring one of Trivium's all time classics, Down from the Sky, and The Crusade which in my opinion is one of the best heavy metal albums of all time.

7 comments:

  1. Well, "too heavy" for me as you might guess, but one thought is they sound like any other heavy metal band I've heard. Too bad we can't hear the words. Congrats making it this far. Two more days to go!

    "Female Scientists Before Our Time"
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of lines in English. Actually they have a few elements which make them sound a little different. Anyway, good on you, Sharon. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Kathmandu is one of my very favourite places - arty, vibrant; it's hardly surprising they've produced a band like this!


    Another day in Amble Bay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rare indeed to hear the word 'arty' in relation to metal. I guess Kathmandu is one of those magical, mystical places...maybe I'll visit one day and catch X-Mantra live.

      Delete
  3. Cool! Glad you found a band you enjoy. Rock on.
    J -- Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, Debut Author Interviewer, Reference and Speculative Fiction Writer
    http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found quite a few in fact. I guess that's one of the many benefits of the challenge...new discoveries: bands, movies,, books, people, places, opinions. Rock on indeed!

      Delete