Friday, April 21, 2017

S is for Swallow the Sun

I had to listen to a lot of what I considered to be pretty ordinary doom/atmospheric metal bands before I found these guys. Swallow the Sun are Juha Ravio, Markus, Jamsen, Mikko Kotamaki, Aleksi Munter, Matti Honkonen and Juuso Raatikanen, and they hail from Jyvaskyla in Finland. In my limited experience, I reckon they are a cut above.

Formed in 2000, their most recent studio release was Songs From the North I, II ∧ III. (2015) The song I chose to share with you is Cathedral Walls (2012) and I think it showcases every thing good about metal and its diversity. Dare I say it's a beautiful and powerful song.

2 comments:

  1. I was really liking this one, (and yay! your link worked this time) until they started in with the death growls (not my favourite vocal style). Still, it's a good song. Thanks! I'll check out more of this band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of them, but the song is good. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete