Sunday, April 2, 2017

B is for Babymetal

When I stumbled on this band I didn't know what I was looking at. The music sounded like metal, but the band was fronted by three young ladies singing and dancing pop style. Upon further investigation I learned that Babymetal was put together by a record company, and is in fact, the originator of a new genre of metal: kawaii metal which translates to English as 'cute metal'. As I said, I didn't know what it was, or understand what they were singing about, but I liked it a lot.

Babymetal is a concept group which fuses heavy metal with J-pop (or Japanese idol music). The line up consists of Suzuka Nakamoto as "Su-metal), Yui Mizuno as "Yui-metal" and Moa Kikuchi as "Moa-metal." 

Formed in 2014, their latest album is called Metal Resistance.

Check out one of their songs: Karate




10 comments:

  1. I went back and forth watching the video - but I land on I like them. I like music that blends genres and I haven't seen this before. Glad I stopped by. - Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. I've been digging them for a while now, but I still think it's a pretty weird combination. Weird in the best possible way. Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I just played some tracks on Youtube and they really are three lively girls! Totally different and absolutely amazing. Thanks for the intro!

    Today in Amble Bay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different is right. It's a bit wrong, but oh so right. I find watching them perform a little mesmerizing.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, I think I've heard of them before! I'm off to listen. This is a super cool theme!

    26 Things To Hate About Writing: B is for Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan. Looks like we've got a little mutual blog love going on. I love your stuff on writing. My sarcasm meter keeps exploding.

      Delete
  4. There's a new one "Baby Metal." Talent comes in all forms and genres.

    Today I'm enjoying the "bat beat" of the Ancholi A Piece of Uganda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would ever have thought you could out the word 'cute' with metal. This is a real genre bending band. Very entertaining. Thanks for visiting, and for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  5. My daughter ( who is adopted from Korea) is obsessed with K-pop... j-pop is the noise of the devil. But it is so typical of the genre tat they could meld Hello Kitty with Regurgitator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That reminds me of the group in the animated movie SING. Confusing, wonderful, outrageous.
    Amazing how many varieties of music exist!
    operationawesome6.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete