Saturday, April 15, 2017

M is for Mortal Soul

For some reason there aren't many African metal bands. I only
found three to include in the A to Z. Mortal Soul are a metalcore band based in Nairobi, Kenya, and this instrumental track, Solace, has been running around in my head for weeks now. I love it. It is from their debut EP called Ashes in the Wind which was released in 2013.

Mortal Soul, who have been likened to Bullet for My Valentine, are Leon, Pete, Joey and Celeste. They got together in 2010. On their Facebook page they list their musical likes/influences, and five of my fave bands are in the list: Bullet for my Valentine, As I Lay Dying, Creed, Trivium and Metallica.

In 2001, I was staying in a motel in Newcastle, NSW, to where I travelled fortnightly for many years for work. I usually stayed in the same hotel, but for some reason I stayed at the Sovereign Inn in Mayfield on this occasion: one and only. They had music channels in their pay TV arsenal, and I was channel surfing when I hit one of them and saw a band which knocked me out.

In 2001 this band released their breakout, and most commercially successful LP to date, Satellite. The song I saw on that video channel was Alive. I soon owned a copy of Satellite, and now have every record they've made. To say I love POD, is a gross understatement.


2 comments:

  1. I am very ignorant and clueless about metal bands....but i know it can really be addictive to those who enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of us are ignorant and clueless about most things especially those things which don't interest us. And everyone also has things about which they are very knowledgeable and passionate. Thanks for visiting Square Pegs and for taking the time to comment. Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

      Delete