Friday, August 26, 2016

Celebrate the small things: Anytime Fitness

In the previous volume of the book of my life, the last few chapters were marked by a lack of emotional stability and physical exercise. Moving to Darwin has not made any immediate impact on the former, nor had it improved the latter situation until very recently.

My search for peace continues, and I must confess to being a tad naive in thinking a change of location would facilitate any alterations to my state of mind. I understand the theory of peace, and I know where to find it, I simply haven't managed to take hold of it yet.



Exercise, on the other hand, is an easy shift. I enjoy exercise. I simply had to make time, and work out how to work out. While I was searching for my own place, and figuring out the intricacies and vagaries of the bus system, I was doing a lot of walking, and at the end of most days I was beat. I was rising at Sparrows and getting home late, so there really was no opportunity to tune the machine which is my body.

I pass a couple of gyms on the way to work and into town, so I decided to check them out: primarily I mean cost, but also the atmosphere. I'm not a gym person, and I didn't want to be surrounded by a crowd of beautiful, albeit sweaty bodies. I maybe 48 years old, but I am still a little self conscious, so if I felt like I didn't 'fit', or I sensed a repellent vibe, then that gym was not going to be for me.


Happily I can report that Anytime Fitness has afforded me a free 14 day trial of their facilities. The gym is not packed. It doesn't smell. It's cool, and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Three days into my new regime, I feel comfortable there, and I am learning how to use the various machines. My arms hurt, but I am very happy and grateful to be once again partaking of regular exercise. I feel better already.

6 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoy the gym! I tease my older kids that if they irritate me too much, I'll go to the gym with them and cramp their style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. I'd love to know if you ever follow through on that threat. Horror of horrors...my mum's here at the gym with me.

      Delete
  2. Good for you. I've never used a gym. I still prefer to do stuff outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd prefer to be outside as well, but it's too hot. Even now in winter still, we're reaching low 30s celsius every day. The gym is comfortable and the equipment is good and when I eventually join, the membership fees will provide extra incentive to go.

      Delete
  3. It's great you're so proactive about finding yourself a gym you enjoy. As for the mental part, don't forget that moving is one of the highest stressers of life (next to grieving and divorce). People usually need months to start feeling their new place is really theirs. I hope you start feeling more secure and satisfied soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexa. I'm on the road to peace...I just don't know how long it is.

      Delete