Saturday, August 13, 2016

A Home among the Gumtrees

For a number of very good reasons, I have relocated, albeit temporarily, to Darwin which is the capital of Australia's Northern Territory. I formally accepted a job offer on July 25, flew out of Sydney on August 5, and commenced work at my new job on August 8.

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but moving is not like going on holiday. I arrived at Darwin airport at midnight with two suitcases, a backpack and an address. The last time I moved to another city by myself was more than 25 years ago, so I forget how long it took for the sense of disorientation to subside. Busyness has certainly saved me from madness. The immediate start at work, and the search for permanent accommodation has given me little time to think about what I am doing. Everything is good and positive about this move except for the fact I have left all my loved ones behind; my fiance, my children, my family and my friends.

I'm finding my way around, learning where things are, and finding my groove; trying to establish routines which I cherish. I've been in shared accommodation, and although very comfortable and welcoming, it is not my space. Having my space is an important part of sorting myself out, testing myself and proving myself.

Yesterday, I found an advertisement for a granny flat in the newspaper. Today, I am moving in to it. It is exactly what I was looking for and I am thanking God hugely for the circumstances which have resulted in me getting a place of my own.

Five minutes on the bus to work and to the city, in a quiet street in a nice suburb, a private rental at a lower price than I was prepared to pay with no bond required, my new home is fully furnished including cutlery and crockery...and it has a swimming pool.

I still feel weird, and have some doubts about whether it will all work out the way I want it to, but my faith I am moving on, trusting God to light my way.

Please share your 're-location' stories. I'd love to read them.




No comments:

Post a Comment