Friday, June 5, 2015

Celebrate the Small Things: just a book cover

Everyone knows that you can't judge a book by its cover, but my first novel, my debut work, Devolution, was judged by its cover. It was originally published only as an e-book by Eloquent Press, but I wanted it in paperback so I self published with Createspace. It was exciting at the time although I was unhappy with the cover. Choices were limited, and I have always felt that the cover did not do the novel justice. People have commented on its drabness.

Like my other titles, Devolution hasn't sold well, but I had this idea that it might sell well in India given the setting and characters. I said to myself, as I continued writing, and being published with successive contracts with small press publishers Artema Press and Rogue Phoenix Press, that one day if I could afford it I would re cover and re release Devolution.

Having found a joint venture publisher in India who was interested, I took the risk and dived in. Devolution (reborn) will be released on June 21.

Yesterday I received the final cover from my publisher, Dream House. It's only a cover. A cosmetic change, but I am hopeful that it will make a big difference. So today I am grateful for a new cover on Devolution and the chance it offers me to reach new readers.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. It actually wasn't exactly what I wanted but the publisher drew a line in the sand.

      Delete
  2. Covers are crucial to sales. You've absolutely made the right decision to re-publish, and it looks great! Congrats on getting an Indian publisher on board. Wishing you an awesome launch!

    ReplyDelete