Friday, June 2, 2017

Celebrate the small things: a crocodile burger

What makes Mindil Beach market special is the location. A mouth-watering collection of food from around the world is available and once you have your food you can walk not more than 50 metres to the beach where you can sit and watch the spectacular sunset.

I don't know if a Darwin sunset is uniquely extraordinary in fact, or by reputation alone, but it is something magnificent to behold. It is a natural light show of stunning beauty.

Usually there are but a handful of people on the beach to say good-bye to the day, but on Thursday nights during the Dry with the market teeming with locals and visitors, the sand is littered with happy and relaxed people. The atmosphere is heavenly.

Last Thursday, Jessie and I were among them. She ate some barbecued octopus while I had my first taste of crocodile. The Road Kill Cafe offered a selection of buffalo, kangaroo and crocodile burgers. Having often eaten and enjoyed kangaroo, and sampled a buffalo pie at the Pink Panther Hotel on our road trip up to the Top End, I wanted to try crocodile.

The verdict? Quite nice. A tender patty which was like a combination of chicken and fish, on a roll with fresh slaw, and sauce. The hot chips which accompanied it were really great, and the whole meal only cost $15. I liked the burger, and I loved the whole experience.

What a sweet life I live. I thank God for it.

What unusual foods have you tried, and what did you think?

14 comments:

  1. Never tried crocodile before, but I have tasted alligator. I imagine they taste very similar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They would be the same. Did you like it? Do you eat it regularly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. BBQed Octopus is one I haven't heard of yet. I've had alligator, grilled grasshoppers, Rocky Mountain Oysters...and so many other things, since I always love to dive into the adventurous when I see something on the menu. But enjoying any of this with that sunset, would no doubt make it taste that much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby octopus is very popular here. Barbecued and served in a salad with sweet chilli dressing...yum. Grilled grasshoppers? I imagine they'd be a little dry and crunchy, right?

      Delete
  4. A wonderful market indeed. Eating and sitting on the beach enjoying a meal as the sun set has my vote. I experienced a lot of outdoor markets in Malaysia. It was often the best way to shop and to experience the culture. Did not know crocodile was edible. Would love to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt markets are a real slice of local culture.

      Delete
  5. Haven't had crocodile before but I have had gator. Been way too long. So good.

    Also. Ostrich. Even more tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alligator would taste the same as crocodile I suppose. Ostrich? Please don't tell me it tasted like chicken. Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  6. It looks absolutely wonderful! But you and Jesse are far more adventurous than I when it comes to food. I've tried chicken liver and kidney, and hated them, and I once tried chicken brains. Eww!! I'm the most boring of eaters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie is actually very fussy. She wouldn't try the crocodile even if I paid her. As for offal...I'm not a big fan although I do like kidney.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a delightful time...love seeing glimpses of life around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Delightful' doesn't do it justice Donna. Thanks for visiting Square Pegs and for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  8. I once tried squid by accident at a buffet. It was covered in tomato sauce and I thought it was ravioli. Too chewy to actually eat, so I don't plan on having it again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha...that's funny. If it's too chewy, it's not fresh. I understand why you've been put off. Octopus or squid is not everyone's cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete