Thursday, October 30, 2014

Rewarded not Awarded

The much anticipated inaugural Lane Cove Literary Award was held on Wednesday night. I was invited to attend as one of over 500 writers who entered their work in one of three categories: memoir, poetry and short story. I had a short story in the mix.

Attended by around 100 people, the award ceremony was held in the library and was a fine affair with complimentary wine, finger foods, and live music. Two local writers judged the awards, and were present to speak about the writing and announce first the short listed writers, and then the winners.

I did not win the $2000 first prize nor did I even make the short list but I did enjoy the occasion and I'm glad I went. It was inspiring to be among a community of writers, and hear the speakers talk with enthusiasm about the art of writing.

I'll keep entering competitions (free ones mostly) because I want to win and I want recognition which will lead to more readers. I haven't written a new short story since December 2012. My focus of course at the time switched to novels and I had two published in 2013. This year has been quiet and different and interesting.

Anyway, hats off to the winners and thanks to the organizers of the event.

Lane Cove Literary Award winners

No comments:

Post a Comment