Wednesday, April 23, 2014

T is for Thuza

T is for Thuza

“She, like her fellow travelers, was throwing the dice for the last time, trying to reach Australia where they had heard stories of peaceful wide open spaces and a generous government. They had handed over their last coins, dumped their identity documents and begged with the smugglers agents for the privilege of being transported in miserable conditions on a dangerous voyage. In her case, her mother had arranged it all but with no money, and her pleas for mercy having fallen on deaf ears, she made an arrangement with one of them. It was all she had to give and he happily took it from her. She was seventeen years old. She was alone. Her name was Thuza.”

From chapter 1, Ashmore Grief.

In Ashmore Grief, Thuza represents the vulnerable, the lost and the hopeless. I live in paradise. I know nothing of war, famine or political or religious persecution. I was raised by two parents in a stable home, and all my life I have prospered in the fertile ground of freedom and affluence. I have had a wealth of amazing relationships and plethora of wonderful opportunities. I go where I want, when I want to, and I eat and drink what I want to. I have bucket loads of leisure time and my work is not arduous. I have never been struck by tragedy of any kind, and I have never been a victim of violence, nor been forced from my home. From time to time I get a bit lost, and I have experienced loneliness but I have never plunged into despair.


Maybe, you also have been blessed like me. Perhaps not, but if not, then you probably know someone who has suffered, or who is suffering. Why not me? Is that what you ask yourself? I do. Why have I escaped the evil which seems so prevalent in the world? I don’t know, but I’m thankful. I thank God for his grace and mercy.

5 comments:

  1. Like you, I grew up in a loving and stable home. I had parents that loved and valued me, pushed me to go to school so that I could support myself. I try to remind myself (in good times and bad) how fortunate I am and remind myself that no matter what problems seem terrible to me - it can always be worse. I think practicing thoughtfulness and being truly grateful for what you have are really important habits to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gratitude is the most important thing. I'm grateful my lessons aren't as hard as Thuza's.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gratitude is the cure for discontent and pride. Maybe my life has been too easy so I tend to take things for granted rather than be thankful.

      Delete
  3. I think it's neat you are exploring a life so different from your own through Thuza. It is also why I sometimes read books like this. My life has been fairly easy in comparison too.
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sharon. That's one of the great thinks about writing, isn't it? We can go anywhere, and do anything...be anyone.

    ReplyDelete