Thursday, April 17, 2014

O is for Original Sin

“Wittaya used people the way his father had used tools. He remembered watching the man work and marveling at his artistry, his concentration. He could be awesomely focused in times of sobriety. Each tool brought to bear on the blank canvass of a piece of wood for a specific purpose, a limited time, then discarded and ignored until need once more. The finished product, a carving of breathtaking beauty for which men paid good money. Although possessing no such skill as a woodworker, Wittaya considered himself an artist in his own right.  He had a team of people upon whom he could call, but who were forbidden to trouble him even if they did possess such temerity. His favours were only ever gifts to be received according to his whim. The outsider may have seen caprice, but the superficial randomness masked engineering. Manipulation.”  
from chapter 11, Ashmore Grief

Pride is the original sin. According to the Bible it was pride which led Adam to disobey God’s command in the garden, and partake of the Forbidden fruit which then saw him and his wife, Eve, cast out of paradise. It was pride which saw Lucifer exiled from heaven along with a third of the heavenly host who thought to raise themselves above their creator. 

Pride makes a man declare independence from God and from others. I am enough. I can do it myself. Have you met a self made person? Have you heard their tales of triumph over the obstacles the world has thrown in their path? Pride rejects help even when it is needed. Pride doesn’t acknowledge other contributions to success. Pride justifies immoral or unethical actions. Pride audaciously declares, “I am the most important person in the world.” Pride focuses attention on the self. The ego becomes the master.

In Ashmore Grief, pride drives Wittaya Keawwanna. He dresses his pride in altruism, but his ambition is fuelled by a darkness which causes him to function with deliberate ruthlessness. The Proverbs tell us that pride goes before a fall...what calamity awaits Wittaya?


When has pride caused you to fall from grace?

9 comments:

  1. Excessively proud people can come across as offensive especially if you know nothing about their talents or achievements. I think it's good to be aware or oneself and have confidence where it is appropriate, but humility and caring should balance it all out.

    I'm thinking on your question, but my sense of pride concerning a situation of pride causing me to fall from grace does not allow me to recognize or remember.

    Lee
    A Faraway View
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever response Arlee. Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Much more could be said about pride, but this is a blog, not a book. Cheers mate. Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. Too much pride is a dangerous thing - and it can also be an annoying thing. I hate having to listen to someone go on and on forever about all of their accomplishments and how great they are. :( I don't usually call these overly prideful people out, but I often wish I could.

    I try to combat my own pride by being thankful for and mindful of the people in my life. Volunteering also helps to put things in perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awareness of the danger of pride is an important first step. It is half the battle won, in fact. Good on you for fighting the good fight.

      Delete
  3. Like with anything, moderation is key. Being proud of an accomplishment is a good thing. We must allow ourselves to feel pride in that which we do. But it can (and often is) taken to an extreme, where pride is put before all else.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Liz. Balance and moderation is the key, but most humans suck at avoiding extremes. Pride is not itself bad, it can be a good thing. I tried to use the word pridefulness to suggest the darker side of pride. Do you think that was successful?

      Delete
  4. Visiting from A/Z; You are so right about pride being the original sin. I think we have pride in a job well done, but if we take all the glory from it without giving all credit to God, then we have committed the sin of pride. I'm thankful when I find myself prideful, God reminds me of it and I try to ask for forgiveness of it. Good post!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Betty. Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment. I'll pop over and visit you. Thanks again.

      Delete
  5. Destroyer of human relationships. Possibly more than even selfishness.

    ReplyDelete