Sunday, March 22, 2015

Recently Read

Playing It My Way: My AutobiographyPlaying It My Way: My Autobiography by Sachin Tendulkar
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sachin Tendulkar is arguably one of the greatest batsmen of all time. In my view he is the greatest. This game of cricket which I love generates more statistics than any other, and Tendulkar's record speaks for itself. Even the fact that he played cricket for his country for 24 years, having debuted aged only 16, says volumes about the man and his character. I loved watching Tendulkar bat and so it was with great excitement that I received and then began to read his autobiography.

I now measure all sports biographies against Bill Woods' El Magic which I thought was wonderfully written, Playing it My Way did not stack up in comparison. However, it was well written, easy to read and full of amazing behind the scenes insights into the private life of this sporting genius. It contained some fascinating commentary on the great matches, series and players of Tendulkar's era.I was particularly interested in what he thought of the Australians he played against.

For cricket fans, there is also quite a bit said about technical aspects of batting, and to a lesser extent bowling, which I also enjoyed very much.For sporting fans and for fans of biography, the clash between his professional life and his family life will be of interest.

Playing it my Way is a good read, not a great read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment