Friday, May 19, 2017

Celebrate the small things: Would you like a beer with your haircut?

Before any of you smarty pants want to comment about my lack of hair and the therefore completely redundant need for me to visit a hairdresser, I should tell you that the guy at the salon we visited had the same cut as me and he insisted that his girls 'layered it' for him, and told him it looked good.

Jessie Rose was the one who booked a haircut at HD Hair Studio in Smith St, Darwin. Reluctantly I accepted her invitation to accompany her, comforting myself with the thought that I would be able to get some reading done while Jessie had her wash, blow and cut.

Upon our arrival at the salon, we were greeted by the aforementioned handsome fellow, who offered us a seat and a drink. Water, coffee, tea, wine or beer? I looked at him wondering if he knew he was in a hair salon not a bar. 'It's complimentary,' he said. 'Yes,' I replied with excessive enthusiasm - because I like beer and 'free' is my favourite price. I have never heard of complimentary alcoholic beverages at hair salons, but I rarely visit them, so perhaps HD is not unique.

I had two free beers (Millers Chill with lime) while I read The Count of Monte Cristo on my phone and listened to a selection of 80s classics. 

I have never had a more enjoyable visit to a hairdresser and they didn't even touch my head. It cost $90 which Jessie assured me was a reasonable price, and she was happy with the cut so it was all good. Everyone's a winner, baby!

What's the service like where you get your hair done?

11 comments:

  1. I've been offered a cappuccino, but a beer? I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great. Something I associate in my mind with salons for the stars in Hollywood or something like that.

      Delete
  2. That is so cool! I love that you went with your fiance and got beers as a reward! I can't even get my hubby to actually enter a doctor or dentist office with me. He just drops me off. Waiting alone kinda sucks, but he always goes by himself to his appointments too. Maybe it's a 3rd-world patriarchal thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very unexpected. Jessie and I always accompany each other to the doctor or dentist, but until now she had never invited me to the salon. Maybe it's because we are a relatively young couple (length of relationship - only a couple of years.) Does your husband drink? Offer him a beer as an enticement.

      Delete
  3. No I haven't encountered bar service at a hairdressers but I think many more men might fancy going along if it was on offer - my hubby included!! Have a great weekend :)
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cool idea, I reckon. Good for business. Good for relationships. Good for recipients of free beer. :-) Hope you're weekend is also great!

      Delete
  4. I've been to salons where they offered wine. A good idea since sometimes a visit can take hours if you're getting a cut and color. Especially since the reading material tends to be limited to gossip magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew there must have been other places out there. I understand what you mean about 'waiting room' magazines, which is why I always have my phone with me to read (Kindle app). Thanks for visiting Kate and for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beverages with your haircut is a new trendy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. there are a few places around here that do it - particularly on thurs/fri nights...my cousin's wife cuts (what's left of) my hair and i always get a beer or wine - i think to dull the pain of looking in the mirror and lamenting the declining abundance.

    ReplyDelete