Friday, September 15, 2017

Celebrate the small things: the doctor smiles

The doctor smiles as he reads through my test results. PSI good, cholesterol great, no blood in the stool sample (eew), ECG shows a vital heart. Everything looks good. He recommends an ABI scan to check my circulation and I agree. There's a rash -not the right word, but I can't think of a better one, on my ankles. The doctor thinks it might be odema. The fact I'm a smoker increases my chances of having circulation problems despite the twin facts of healthy diet and active lifestyle. 

I dutifully submit to the ABI which is a first for me, and I also complete a 40-49 year old full health assessment with a nurse who, like the doctor, has nothing negative to say except that I should quit smoking.

On seeing the results of the ABI scan, my doctor again smiles (blood circulation is perfect) and recommends a watch and see approach to the "rash". In the absence of any other symptoms, this seems the best course of action.

I have a check up every year, usually on or around my birthday. This years's is more comprehensive due to the impending half century milestone.

I leave the doctor feeling very happy and thankful. I have no health issues. I'm in good shape. I feel good. I haven't been sick at all, not even a cold, since I moved to Darwin just over a year ago. I am truly, truly grateful.

How's your health? Been to the doctor lately? Been for a check up?

* That's not my doctor in the photo by the way, but he looks like a nice chap.

11 comments:

  1. It's always something to celebrate when you're given a clean bill of health. I should get a comprehensive check-up one of these days. That half century creeps ever nearer, day by day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the bad stuff can be treated successfully if diagnosed/discovered early so it makes sense to find out I reckon.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on being healthy! That's a huge thing to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good health report is always worth celebrating. I need to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The funny thing is that not more 48 hours after writing that post, I caught a cold.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the good check-up. You probably caught that cold from the waiting room. I should go to my doctor because I wrecked my bike in July and my elbow is still having pain and can't bend all the ways it used to. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy to go when I'm called in for routine tests and screening, but I must admit the doctor is the last port of call when I'm under the weather. It's strictly: (1) friends, (2) the health store, (3) the pharmacist, (4) Google (I know I shouldn't), and (5) reluctantly, the GP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your good health! I think being active keeps you living longer. My husband read recently that most people over 50 are sedentary. I've been working out regularly for eight years which makes me look at least ten years younger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a bit late in dealing with last week's blogs but wanted to visit before this week's go round. LOL!

    Glad all checked out okay on the medical front - a necessary visit for us as we age. ;)

    ReplyDelete