Let's start with the good stuff before I rip in and tell you why this film is a 'fail' in my opinion.
The final battle scene was a lot of fun. Superb choreography, bullets and arrows flying (with incredible accuracy from the weapons of our heroes), and even a Gatling gun. Vincent D'Onofrio was almost unrecognizable and terrific in his supporting role of Jack Horne, and Emma Cullen made a very sexy damsel in distress.
Here's why I didn't like The Magnificent Seven 2016:
- The village of poor farmers being regularly plundered by Calvera's bandidos (1960) became a mining town being exploited by a business tycoon. (2016)
- None of the original characters were included in the new film.
- Yul Brynner's ice cold, man in black, mercenary cowboy, Chris, was replaced by an angry black man with an axe to grind named Sam Chisolm.
- Awkward insertion of classic lines from 1960. Vin's (Steve McQueen) story of the man falling from a building, for example.
- More style than substance (a common problem with modern action films)
- A series of lame attempts to explain the motivation of the seven.
- The insertion of a random Comanche Indian in the 7 who cuts out and eats a deer's liver or something. Why did he join this gang of white men? Ridiculous.
- Sam Chisolm being motivated entirely by revenge. The original film is a redemption story, and has nothing to do with revenge. I guess the makers of the film thought revenge was sexier than redemption.
- Number eight was the second worst thing about the film. The worst thing was the ending. I literally scoffed out loud when I heard the sexy damsel in distress voicing over a shot of four crosses on the hill with these words: "They were magnificent!" Get me a bucket!
1960: As they look one last time down on the village they rescued from its oppressor, Calvera, Chris says to Vin: 'We lost. We always lose," and they ride off. That's an ending!
If you haven't seen the 1960 version, you might enjoy The Magnificent Seven (2016), but I could only give it 3 stars. If not for the aforementioned positives, it would have only been 2.