Monday, June 20, 2011

Review of The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith

The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (Angus & Robertson Classics)The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith by Thomas Keneally

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was the second time I read The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith. Loved it again. I felt such incredible empathy for Jimmie and anger towards the racist mean spirited pigs who exploited him. I wanted Jimmie to succeed but there was in the book, and in life I suspect, a sense that somethings are inevitable and that good does not always triumph over evil.



Keneally is a terrific writer, I love his books. The way he writes, understating and overstating at the same time with crisp, vivid descriptions of people and places, and pulsing narratives that bubble with historical authenticity. The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith is deservedly considered an Australian classic.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment